Wednesday, December 5, 2012

1.19 - One of the Family

"Percy," Dagon struggled to get the words out, his eyes welling with tears. "What happened to you? I've been worried sick...and now...this."

Percy tried at a chuckle, but it was hollow and void of all humor. "It's a long story. I guess I should start with the two obvious things. First, I had my birthday. Then I got punched in the face."

"Thanks, Perce. I could have guessed that. Let's hear the long story now."

"Well, the night of our double date, I slept in your rocking chair. My brother, Oliver, had been staying with me and my parents, and he's not the nicest guy to be around. Anyway, the next morning I finally got up the nerve to come out to my mom and dad. I told them everything. Unfortunately, Oliver was listening. He started ranting about how I was an abomination and popped me in the face. Funny thing is, I don't know where he's getting the idea that I'm the abomination. He's the creepy one.

I don't know how well you know your next door neighbor, Lydia, but Oliver is married to her. They have a kid together. Know who else Oliver has a kid with? Lydia's daughter, Bianca. He knocked her up when she was just a teenager. When they broke up, he went after Bianca's mom. The whole thing is sick." 
Dagon threw his arms around Percy's waist and nuzzled into his neck. "I'm just glad you're okay. But how do we know this is over? What if Oliver attacks again."

"I don't think we have anything to worry about. My parents, they were really accepting of me. My dad's an old man now, but he threw Oliver out of the house and told him if he ever so much as looked at me the wrong way that he "knows people" who wouldn't be afraid to get rid of Oliver. I don't know what he meant by that, but Oliver seemed to believe it."

"Stay here with us, Perce. I want to make sure you're safe," Dagon said, nibbling his lower lip.

"Only if your mom and aunt are okay with it. I don't want to impose," Percy replied, sensing that any arguments from him would only hurt Dagon's feelings.
"Tell me who did this, and I'll kill them," Aoife growled, her yellow eyes narrowed.

"No worries, cuz. He's here and safe now. Can't have you getting in trouble," Dagon replied. This whole situation was making him anxious. What if Oliver wasn't the only one in town who didn't approve of their lifestyle? Would they all be in constant danger?

"Damn right he's safe now. I will annihilate anyone who tries to hurt either of you," Aoife replied, not quite ready to give up on getting Percy to name names. 
But Percy was too busy being accosted by Shae's kindness. "Oh, honey. I can't believe your own brother would do this to you. Don't worry. Officially or not, you're part of the family now."

Percy smiled. It was nice just being accepted. He never had to pretend with the Maesson family. They just opened their arms and enveloped him into the clan.
And to demonstrate just how close he'd become to the family, Percy was right there blowing into his noisemaker that evening when Shae celebrated her adventure into elderhood. She aged much more gracefully than her sister, happy with all of the little mishaps life had thrown her way.
When the festivities were over, Percy curled up into a ball on the loveseat. It wasn't the most physically comfortable place to sleep, but Percy was just relieved that in this house, he was safe. The wounds would heal. And he would have happiness.
Fog crept in the following morning with the sunrises. That evening, Dagon would finally become a young adult. But the day also happened to be Spooky Day. So the family decided to head on down to the fairgrounds to celebrate the holiday. Percy had work, so Dagon ventured into the haunted house. Alone.
The three other boys were much more interested in bobbing for apples than encountering all of the spooky twists and turns in the haunted house. Elisedd demonstrated an unexpected competitive streak. But Diarmuid emerged the victor.
The ladies engaged in their own competition - eating pies. Aoife thought her feral nature gave her an edge, but Illdrid scarfed down her pie like it was the first time she'd ever tasted food. Unfortunately, Shae couldn't keep anything down. As she ran to the bathroom, all she could think was that she was getting too old for this ish.
After purchasing a celebratory cider to commemorate his apple bobbing victory, Diarmuid decided to wander around the grounds. He stumbled upon an old scarecrow. Its pumpkin eyes stared blankly into the distance. Diarmuid shuddered and muttered, "I've got my eye on you, creepy crowman." Luckily, he didn't have to watch the scarecrow for too long. As the sun set, the family packed up and went home to celebrate Dagon's birthday with a costume party.
The decorations were finished and costumes donned by the time the first guest arrived. Evandrus, wearing a cowplant costume, surveyed all of the guests, already regretting his decision to emerge from his bedroom. He tried to remember that this was a special occasion for his brother and he should just suck it up, but it was hard being surrounded by all these strangers.
Dagon, on the other hand, was having a blast. He dressed up in a cowboy costume. Percy, fresh off his shift at work, had decided to wear a military uniform. "Bring up any memories?" Dagon asked as he shook his body in rhythm to the music.

Percy laughed. "Yea. The second I saw you, I knew I couldn't keep up my charade with Kari anymore. I don't know if I'd call that moment "love," but it was certainly something at first sight!"
Evandrus tried not to gag at the conversation he was overhearing. He didn't understand the whole romance nonsense. He hoped he would never sound so pitiful when talking to another person. Not that he talked to other people all that often...
Evandrus' musings were cut short when Dagon was called to the cake. He took a deep breath, made his wish, and succumbed to the sensation of the sparklies. The moment he became a young adult, Dagon grabbed Percy by the hand and dragged him into his bedroom.
"Percy, I never thought I'd feel this way about anyone. Or that they'd feel the same way about me. I was the weird artsy goofball who wouldn't eat the cafeteria food because it's probably laced with dangerous chemicals. But when I'm with you, I don't feel like some weirdo. I feel extraordinary." 
Dagon dropped to one knee and pulled out a tiny black box. "I want to feel extraordinary every day of my life, and I'll only ever feel that way when I'm with you. Marry me?"

Percy's hands flew to his mouth, complete surprise overtaking his body. It only took a second for the surprise to transition into pure joy. "Of course! As soon as possible!" Percy could barely contain his excitement. He flew back into the kitchen to announce their engagement to anyone who would listen.
Dagon led Aoife outside to the fire pit. "I'm sure you heard the exciting news from Percy's rambunctious shouting. But I just wanted to come out and spend time with you. I won't be around much longer ..."

"Dag, it's okay. You're not dying or anything. You're just getting married. To the man you love. Besides, tomorrow is my birthday. Kari and I have already discussed that I'm going to move in with her. She sends her birthday wishes, by the way. She had work tonight and couldn't make it. Anyway, my point is we're both going to be moving out and moving on with our lives. It's what happens when you grow up. But don't worry. You'll always be my cousin. We'll have plenty more double dates to go on together!" 

Dagon grinned. "Yeah. We're going to have great lives."
While Dagon talked with Aoife, Percy read Elisedd to sleep, all the while daydreaming about all of the kids he hoped to raise some day soon.

_______

Aaannnd the kids are finally growing up and moving out! Phew. Also, Diarmuid really stood there and stared at the snowman while drinking his hot cider for...I don't know, at LEAST one whole Sim hour. I'd go to check on everyone else, and when I'd come back to him, he'd still be there just staring at it. It was...creepy.

I've added a tab to the main page where you can download all of the young adult versions of the Maesson family Sims. So far, Illdrid, Shae, Dagon, and Aoife are up there. So there's a bit of a spoiler about what Aoife will look like when she ages up next chapter!

13 comments:

  1. I just found your blog today on my lunch hour and stayed at work late so I could get completely caught up (not claiming overtime, btw). I love your character development and can't wait until the next installment. Thanks for creating and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Thanks so much. I'm flattered! I hope I can manage to keep your interest. ::blushy face::

      Delete
  2. awww what a heartwarming story and I am very glad there was nothing worse done to poor Percy than some bruises and scrapes. I hope his horrible brother gets his karmic paybacks! It's sad to see them flying out of the nest but sounds like both Dagon and Aoife are going to have great lives. Evandrus is still very curious to me and I look forward to seeing where he goes as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...his horrible brother already has a pretty crappy life. I think that's payback enough.

      I am pretty sure I'm going to give Evandrus a spinoff in the Asylum challenge with some other familiar faces. I have an idea to tie it into the current plot and possibly affect the main storyline.

      Delete
  3. Aw, very sweet! I'm glad Percy is okay, and I hope he and Dagon are happy together. And Aoife and Kari, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Story Progression is kind to them! It currently has them all married. And Percy and Dagon have already adopted two child aged kids. Illdrid is so excited to be a grandmom. She wants to brag about her grandkids to everyone she meets.

      Delete
  4. The proposal scene was so cute. I'm glad Percy is okay, and that he's got Dagon (and the rest of the family!) there to help him through it. It is really sad that they're starting to grow up and move on now, but I also really like reading about the transition phase in legacy stories, so I'm excited for the next generation as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I feel the same way reading other people's legacy stories. It always bums me out seeing some of my favorite characters go...but at it's always exciting seeing how to the next generation is going to shape up.

      Delete
  5. Is it bad of me that I want Aoife to go and beat Percy's brother up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not even a little bit. :D Well, ok, maybe a little bit. ;P But it's totally justified!

      Delete
  6. So cute! I feel so sad that Dagon and Percy are moving out. :( Hopefully they will visit often, because they are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I wish I could have developed Kari and Aoife's relationship more, but every time I called Kari to do anything, she always had work!

      Delete
  7. Yay! I'm caught up!

    "The moment he became a young adult, Dagon grabbed Percy by the hand and dragged him into his bedroom." Made me think, that escalated quickly! But then it turned into a sweet proposal. :)

    ReplyDelete